Friday, April 01, 2005

Wonderful Wellington

Hi All,

 

Well, after some time recuperating in Nelson, I'm doing much better.


My tooth has settled down, but it may need to be totally re-done (more surgery) when I get home.  In the meantime though, I'll just make the most of all that I can!  I'm recovering well from my cold and feeling much more chipper and bright. 

 

I arrived into Wellington yesterday, after a bumpy flight to the North Island.  Wellington is known as "The Windy City," and for good reason!  It was a good thing that I had decided to fly across Cook Strait, as all the ferries were cancelled due to the high winds and rough seas.  Felt like winter!  I'm staying at the house of a woman whom I met kayaking in the Abel Tasman.... she has recently moved in with her partner and has her house up for sale, so I currently have a three bedroom house to myself, with views across Cook Strait to the South Island (apparently.... I haven't been able to see out the windows on account of the rain and fog), a wonderful bed, fireplace, and bath!  I had been craving a bath for the past few weeks, so I'm recuperating and enjoying the time and space to myself.  Sue took me to get groceries and rent some videos, so
I'm all set!  The wind is so loud though, that it is hard to watch the videos sometimes!  Windy city indeed!

 

I'm currently in town enjoying Wellington..... it is a vibrant city, with much art and culture and diversity, yet doesn't have that big city feel.  It's all built on hills leading down to the harbour, so almost reminds me of San Fransisco.  Lots of trees and green to be found as well.  Te Papa, the Museum of New Zealand is amazing.... I just spent all morning there and am on my way back.  Great exhibits on natural history, Maori culture, contemporary settlement, natural disasters, etc. etc.  I think it rivals many of the museums I visited in Eurpoe and I'm enjoying this immensely.  As I write this the sun has come out and it has become hot.... guess I should strip off my wool socks and long underwear!  I never know what to wear in this country as the weather changes so quickly!! 

 

I'm going to spend the next few days here I think.... lots to experience, the weather is supposed to clear and there are some nice local hikes to explore.  Peter Jackson is filming "King Kong" not far from where I am staying also, so might poke my nose in there and see what I can see!  May also try to get a tour of Weta studios, where "Lord of the Rings" was made as well. 

 

Great to hear from you all, may you continue to be blessed and happy!

 

Love,

Kristi

1 comment:

[The User] said...

Oow, Weta Studios. I wouldn't mind hearing about that :)