Saturday, April 16, 2005

Surf and worms and hobbits....

Hi again!

 

The whirlwind continues!  I went to Waitomo for a day and saw the glow-worms.  Very surreal.  In an underground boat in the dark, and then from out of nowhere, the ceiling of the cave comes alive with glowing blue lights..... the glow-worms.  It's silent and erie, but magical.  Saw another cave with amazing limestone formations as well.  Fossilized bones and other things. 

 

Next to Hamilton, a large inland city.  From there I visited Matamata (AKA "Hobbiton") and learned all about the filming of the Lord of the Rings, from fake bridges and mills, to watering and gardening feats, and movie magic.  It was a goregeous day and a fun outing. 

 

Then to Raglan, world famous surfing destination on the West Coast.  Reminded me a lot of Tofino, a laid-back, artsy coastal town with amazing beaches and surf.  I had a lesson and am now confident catching and riding waves (small ones, but it's a start!).  I stayed an extra day since it was so relaxing, and spent the afternoon at Manu Bay (where they filmed "Endless Summer" in 1964) watching the pros catch huge 8 foot waves.... wow.  Pretty spectacular.

 

Then to Auckland and Waiheke Island, where I'm meeting up with people I wwoofed with on the South Island for a few days.  Then likely visiting yoga contacts in Auckland and maybe the East Cape.  I have some wwoofing possibilities on ecovillages, so am looking into that as well.  I still want to see the Coromandel and Northand as well.... Time is growing short it seems.... only a little over a month left here before heading to Australia!  Where has the time gone? 

 

Hope you are all well..... looking forward to seeing you when I return!

 

Love,

Kristi

No comments: