Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Mountain Glory

Hi Everyone!

It's been a whirlwind last few days, but I've seen and done a lot!

Left Te Anau after visiting the glow-worm caves (very interesting creatures.... lure insects with light from their digestive systems..... made the inside of the cave look like a starry sky). An uneventful journey to Dunedin, Scottish student city in the Southeast. An interesting place. The city itself is driven by the university, with 30,000 students and the largest employer. Being the week before classes started, there were lots of students about. As a result of the student culture it is quite artsy and interesting. The architecture reminded me a lot of Europe as well.... older buildings (my hostel was apparently an old hospital and has a resident ghost, just to keep things interesting!). Nearby is the Otago Peninsula, a mecca for wildlife lovers. I managed to see the rare yellow-eyed penguins waddling ashore at dusk to feed their chicks, many seabirds, New Zealand fur seals (a nursery.... the pups were just learning to swim!), Sea Lions from a few feet away, and the Royal Albatross with a 3 meter wingspan.... magnificent birds. Also had to visit the Cadbury chocolate factory and see their chocolate waterfall.... yum!

The next day it was on to Mount Cook, and I lucked out as it was a beautiful sunny day and Lake Pukaki was almost the same colour of the sky (from the glacial rock dust). Mount Cook (or Aoraki in Maori legend) is the highest peak in Australasia and is spectacular. the following day (my Birthday) I hiked up to the Mueller Hut with Maria, a British acquaintance. What an amazing hike! Very steep, but rewarded at the top by stunning views of glaciers and sheer faces all around, with icefall booming across the valleys. One could see right up the Hooker Valley and Tasman glacier to Mt. Cook, and the sun and blue sky were incredible. I'll upload photos of it as soon as I'm able.... once again the difficulty with large file sizes and paying for connections.

Then today it was a long bus ride past Lake Tekapo and out of the high country to Christchurch, where I began! It feels strange to be back here, as I've changed a lot since being here the first time. I'm only here for a day though, and then off to Kaikoura tomorrow to visit the whales and dolphins. Then on to Nelson where I have some wwoofing possibilities. I'm also corresponding with the yoga retreat centre to spend some time there as well, so we'll see how that pans out.

I've been doing some thinking about sustainability since I've arrived here, and gained some interesting perspectives. When I first arrived, I had the idea that it would be great to just dissappear into the bush and live sustainably, and at peace with the land. I've since realized though, that while wonderful, if things turn bad, one is really and truly alone (i.e. medical emergencies etc.). I've also realized that I'd get restless and need to have a greater impact and work with people.

Part of the reason so much of New Zealand is amazing and pristine is that the population pressures are nowhere near what they are in urban areas, and so a lot of the problems aren't as apparent. It's great to have places like New Zealand to escape to, and as a model of how things could be, but I'm realizing that cities are where the real problems need to be addressed. In some ways, it seems that it may be only a matter of time until the problems we see in North America find their way here. I hope that things will proceed differently and that New Zealand can be an example of how things can be. I'm going to write to the New Zealand government and applaud them for their support of conservation initatives, and urge them to continue in this vein.

Seeing all of this has prompted me to contemplate emmigrating, but I'm realizing more and more that BC is my home and where I need to be making a difference. I do really like visitng places like this though!

All in all, I'm really enjoying traveling independently, and meeting new and interesting people every day. It's all I hoped it would be, and I'm loving every minute of it. Thanks to all who have sent their thoughs and encouragement... it's much appreciated!

Thinking of you all!

Cheers,
Kristi

No comments: