Friday, January 28, 2005

MMmmm.... pancakes!


Hello everyone!

 

Hope you are all well and enjoying yourselves wherever you may be.

 

Since I last wrote I've moved around a wee bit.  After the yoga retreat I stayed in Christchurch a few days, taking in the amazing busker's festival.  Then a group of three other women from the retreat and I went out to Rangiora on the Canterbury Plains to help out our yoga teacher on her 30 acre farm.  We stained a deck, mowd the lawn, and I painted tree seedlings in the shelterbelt with hare repellent (egg and white paint mixture)!  It was eye opening as Donna (our teacher) lives entirely on her own on the 30 acres, maintaining it and tending to her two horses.  Quite a woman.

 

Then, Ruth (an Australian yoga teacher, midwife, nurse and shiatsu practitioner) and I took the Trans Alpine train through the mountains to Arthur's Pass.  The town was very small, with one general store and phone booth on the highway (the same highway that I traveled today that had 9 one-lane bridges!).  We did an absolutely amazing hike with 8.5 hours of glorious hot sun, craggy snowy mountain peaks, and razor-sharp rocky ridges only 2 feet wide!  A bit precarious, but we were kept company by some cheeky Keas (alpine parrots that steal food and dismantle car aerials, widshield wipers etc).  Look for some great photos, but likely not for a week or two until I get to a larger centre.

 

Said goodbye to Ruth this morning and continued west.  Lots of waterfalls and more spectacular scenery.  I'm now at the Pancake rocks (Punikaki), formed by erosion of layered limestone.  The west coast is fabulous rugged coastline and dense rainforest.  So far the weather has held out.  Will stay here another day and then off to the glaciers in the south. 

 

I'm enjoying traveling on my own, but would love to hear from you if you get a chance! 

 

Until later,

Kristi


No comments: