Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Arrival in Christchurch

This post was supposed to happen automatically, but that didn't seem to work. Below is the latest email that I sent out to those of you that wanted to be updated. A nice day in Christchurch today, 25+ degrees and sunny. Went for a hike.... beautiful! Will post pictures soon. Yoga retreat starts tomorrow.... will update after that!

K
------------------------------------------------------

Hooray! I made it. What a long flight. It was such a relief to get out of L.A. though. What a contrast to New Zealand. Arriving into Auckland was (literally) a breath of fresh air. I know I'm going to have an amazing time.

Things which I immediately noticed upon arriving in New Zealand:
- cleanliness.... clean air, water, airports.
- Amazing landscape..... like nothing I've ever seen before. Unique flora and fauna.
- relaxed pace..... people don't get too strung out about much. Maybe that's an Island characteristic?
- People are happy and friendly! What a contrast to L.A.!
- Lots of space and not overcrowded with people
- Boutiques in aiports sell homeopathic remedies and herbals instead of cheap sunglasses and costume jewlery
- Maori people (or people of Maori descent) are much more common than First Nations in Canada

I'm now in Christchurch doing a bit of exploring. It's a very European feeling city with a big cathedral and old college reminiscent of when I visited Oxford. VERY clean though. It's nice. Weather has been around 17 celcius and sunny to overcast. Beats all the snow in Vancouver. Anyways, thinking of you all and hoping to hear from you soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristi! I have never posted a comment on anything before so I guess your trip is widening horizons for both of us! New Zealand sounds awesome so far, you're going to have a great time. By the way, when are you getting back? I'm in the GIS lab at school right now, supposed to be mapping something. Should probably get on that. I hope you are doing well (and I hope this posts alright). Take care and take lots of pictures! Lv Grace