Sunday, May 03, 2009

Spring and New Beds

It's been so long since I last posted! Some catching up to do.

So, last year's experiment was fairly successful. I learned a lot, and had a great time growing a lot of our food. I even had a CBC Radio french TV spot, thanks to our friend, Benoit. You can see the clip here: http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/manitoba/Dossiers/detail.asp?Pk_Dossiers_regionaux=193&Pk_Dossiers_regionaux_page=251

Over the winter, I kept a few greens going in a coldframe. This spring is when the most work started though - I built raised beds, all by myself! (photo credit: Ben Johnson, Sockeyed Images)



I opted to use cedar so they wouldn't rot so fast, and screwed them together, loosely based on designs in a book I found second hand during a trip to Mayne Island. It's called the 60 minute garden (http://www.amazon.ca/Jeff-Balls-60-Minute-Vegetable-Garden/dp/0020303769)
The design includes anchors to allow the use of polytunnels made from flexible tubing and clear polyethelene sheeting. These can be switched out for a trellis for climbing plants.

No comments: