Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Farewell to Aotearoa

Hi Everyone.
 
Apologies for the late update.  I had a good week wwoofing for a family doing garden work, and then to the beautiful Otamatea ecovillage in Kaiwaka, Northland.  Lynne and Reinhold were wonderful people, with a beautiful 5 acres of permaculture-designed property, strawbale house with green roof, composting toilets and a beautiful woodfired outdoor sauna/hot tub.  They were also the initiators of Otamatea ecovillage, and as such a great wealth of information on intentional communities.  I learned a lot, pruning and weaving a living willow fence, mulching, reading all I could about intentional communities and permaculture, kayaking, laughing and generally trying to take it all in.  Their land (and the adjoining common lands) was a very special place, surrounded by tidal estuaries and mangroves.  I'm thankful for my time with them, their hospitality and knowledge. 
 
After another visit to Joe Polaisher's place for a farm tour, it was on to Auckland and the city (a bit of a shock adjusting to the dislocation from the land, the rushing, people and the city life.).  I've spent a nice past few days with my dear friend Leah, a fellow yogini and kindred spirit.
 
It's hard to comprehend that I'll be leaving the land of milk and honey (quite literally!) tomorrow.  This has been a very powerful past few months for me.  I've had such a diverse set of experiences here, learned a lot, and met so many great, like-minded people.  Apart from Canada, it's the only place I've visited that I'd seriously consider settling.  This is a truly special, sacred place and I hope to return someday, sooner rather than later.  I'll cherish the memories of the New Zealand bush, dewy pungas (tree ferns), expansive vistas, wilderness, rolling farmland, clear, clean seas and skies, Maori culture, and mostly, special people (you know who you are).  I hope to keep in touch so that if any of you come to Canada we can meet again!  My deepest, heartfelt thanks to each of you that has in some way touched me, not just on this trip, but on my life's journey in general.  I love you all! 
 
Tomorrow it's on to Australia, Melbourne specifically.  I'm just trying to plan my month there.  Such a huge country with so much to see, it's hard to decide what to leave out! 
 
Until next time,
 
Love and light,
Kristi
 
 
 

No comments: